"A person's a person, no matter how small"
~ Dr Seuss
FAQ - kids classes
Do you teach yoga classes just for kids?
- We teach general kids classes, plus our SKY (Special Kids Yoga) classes for kids with special and additional needs, including Autism Spectrum rockers.
Where are your classes held?
- Classes are held in our Bell Post Hill studio, with a maximum of six kids per class.
- Classes can be held at a community centre/hall, school, kinder, daycare, backyard, private home or other suitable venue by arrangement.
Is there an age limit for kids classes?
- We teach our classes in age brackets. Our minimum age is 3 years.
- Our age brackets are: 3-7, 8-12, 13-15, 16-17
- Teens 18 years and over must join our Adults Yoga classes.
I have a child on the Autism Spectrum / with ADD/ADHD / Sensory Processing challenges. Can they do Yoga?
- Annaliese is trained in Yoga for Children with Special needs, including Autism Spectrum rockers, ADD/ADHD, physical disabilities, learning challenges and related conditions.
- Annaliese has Asperger's Syndrome and Sensory Processing Challenges herself, so she is well placed to assist your little miracles.
My child/children have current / recent injuries or medical condition - can he/she/they attend a class?
- You agree to disclose all medical conditions and injuries (past or current) for your children, to the teacher at each class, so we can assist them in their practice. This is for their safety, enjoyment and wellbeing.
- A medical clearance may also be required if your child is injured or unwell, if you are unsure please contact Annaliese ASAP.
- Should you fail to disclose any and/or all medical conditions, injuries, past or recent surgeries or other medically relevant details that you are aware of either for your child, please understand that you are placing your child's health and safety at serious risk and we will not be and are not responsible for any aggravation or new presentations of these or other conditions.
We're new. What time do I need to arrive?
- New students must arrive 10 minutes before the advertised class start time for registration.
- We want to get them settled in with plenty of time to relax before class starts!
We're running late - can we just rock up?
- The short answer is, unfortunately, NO.
- Late admittance is not possible, as it is disruptive to the other children who arrived on time, and considered disrespectful to your teacher who arrived early to set up the room.
- This is particularly important in an Autism Spectrum class setting. Spectrum rockers need routine, consistency and stability. Starting a class late is extremely disruptive and can cause distress in spectrum rocking children.
- We understand that things happen from time to time that are outside your control, but if things happen consistently every week, we'll have to have a little chat. And perhaps look at private sessions.
Can we leave class early?
- Unless it is a genuine emergency, staying for the whole class is most beneficial and least disruptive.
- This is particularly important in an Autism Spectrum class setting. Spectrum rockers need routine, consistency and stability. Children being removed from class early is extremely disruptive and can cause distress in spectrum rocking children. We're here to chill out, not to add more stress on.
My child has their own mat / blanket / pillows / bolsters / blocks. Can I bring them?
Or...my kids don't have their own mats and props - can they please use yours?
- You kids are most welcome to BYO Yoga mat and props if you have them (two blocks, two blankets, two cushions, a bolster, strap, etc).
- If your kids don't have their own mats and props, you are most welcome to use ours.
- We have our signature Yoga mats available for purchase at the studio for $6 each.
- Your child is welcome to store their Yoga mat at our Studio if that is helpful.
What do kids wear to class?
- We recommend shorts, t-shirts, singlets or leggings.
- Comfortable fitted/stretchy clothes that won't ride up or expose body parts are best.
Do I need to bring anything?
- You may wish to bring a small towel and water bottle.
- You will sweat at least once during class and you may get thirsty.
- You are welcome to bring your own mat and props if you prefer.
Can kids eat before coming to class?
- Please refrain from eating large meals or big snacks within 2 hours of class.
- A piece of fruit or small yogurt at least one hour before class is okay
- Kids will be VERY active during class, so eating too close to class time may lead to nausea, sickness and discomfort.
Can parents attend or stay for class?
- Parents are welcome and asked to stay in our kitchen area and enjoy a tea or coffee.
- Please do not interrupt the class or come into the studio unless it is an emergency. If your child needs you, they will be brought to you directly.
What if someone experiences sensory or other overload in class?
- We have a calm corner in which the child can chill out and rejoin the class if and when they feel ready.
- The calm corner has sensory-friendly books and toys, blankets, cushions, eye covers, headphones and a tablet device with calming music and games on it.
- Please note that violent and physically abusive behaviour in our Yoga space towards the teacher or other children will not be tolerated and will sadly result in the child being asked to leave immediately and not return to classes.
- We are not equipped to handle physical violence, nor should we be expected to.
Do you have a reservation policy?
- Online booking and registration is compulsory and your cooperation is very much appreciated as it helps avoid disappointment.
- We have a maximum of 6 students per class for Special Kids Classes and 10 for General Kids Classes.
What is your cancellation policy?
- A one-hour notice period is required to cancel an online class booking. This is out of respect for your teacher and for your fellow students who may have missed out on a mat space and could have used a yoga chill that day!
How do I pay?
- Cash on arrival
- Online at time of booking
- For Special Kids Yoga classes - you don't pay. They're FREE