"if you love life, don't waste time;
for time is what life is made up of."
~ BRUCE LEE
How does what we do benefit the community?
CONTRIBUTION : we love to give back - heck, we're a charity after all. We are NOT FOR PROFIT.
- We practice APARIGRAHA or "non-greed". This is the 5th Yama of the 8 Limbs of Yoga. We are not here to make money. We are here to serve our community.
- We offer lower cost Adults and Kids yoga classes to make them accessible to a wider audience.
- We believe that everyone should be able to access the gift of yoga, not just those who can afford $19- $25 for a yoga class, usually held in a fancy studio, .
- All profits from class fees are directed straight into our charity.
- We have no interest in being a large global corporate monster franchised commercial Yoga operation with fancy studios and a pretty shop selling expensive Yoga pants. To us, this is not what Yoga is about.
- Our teachers and committee members are all unpaid volunteers and practice Seva (rough translation from this beautiful Sanskrit word is "Selfless Service"). We all freely donate our time to teach our classes and run our Charity.
- We repeat: NONE of our volunteers are paid for their time. We do it for love!
- We have basic and mostly hand-made Yoga accessories for sale, with the profits being directed straight into our charity.
FUN: we encourage our Yogis to have as much fun as possible in our classes. Yoga isn't meant to be all boring, ugly and serious.
- It's all about the fun, whether you are eight or eighty years old.
- We teach with a sense of lightheartedness and fun. It's really unseriously all about the fun. If you're not having fun, we're all doing it wrong!
- We use interesting and fun cues to help you get into (and out of) poses.
- We don't do Yoga in suits, so why act like it's a business meeting?
- We encourage adjustanasana and shakenasana breaks between poses.
- We also offer Dad jokes, sci-fi references and occasionally song lyrics and movie quotes in our Adults classes.
GROWTH: we support our Yogis on the their Yoga journeys, no matter how far down the road you are (or aren't) right now
- It's the journey, not the destination, that matters - so get ready to follow the yellow brick road with us!
- We love it when you feel fascinated (previously known as frustrated) in your practice. It means something is about to happen that will blow your heart and mind!
- We adjust poses to suit your body, never adjusting your body to fit a pose.
- If you're not a size 0, a pretzel person or the rubber band man, you're going to love our style.
- We promise to keep you safe in poses and in class, as long as you faithfully follow our instructions to the letter and fill in those annoying but necessary registration forms (which are now online, phew!). That's the only serious thing we do!
- Props such as blocks and straps are there to help you on your journey and make you more comfortable in a pose.
GRATITUDE: there are so many things to be grateful for in this precious human life and our yogis are at the top of our list.
- We offer "YO OMie" passes for you to give to your friends so that they can try a class at your favourite Yoga school (that's us, by the way).
- You can buy gift cards for your Yoga-loving OMies too.
- We have a big freakin birthday party each year for our Yoga school.
- We'll make you a hot chai after class if you wish to stay for a chat.
- We'll tuck you into savasana with handmade pillows and snuggly blankies.
- We'll read you nice affirmations, impart lovely pearls of wisdom or leave you a happy card to read at the end of class.